I have changed the way I blog and
have moved to Tumblr

Monday, January 14, 2013

Less is more

Minimalist design risks appearing cold and unwelcoming. As far as I'm concerned that's the problem with the the first living room below (the winter landscape doesn't help.) However, add some colour and that doesn't have to be the case. As you can see, although it predominates you're not always restricted to modern furniture to achieve the look.

All images have larger views. Just click on any one






My own tastes lean more toward transitional-styled major pieces with Asian-influenced smaller pieces and accessories. To a certain extent my choice is driven by a few things I have inherited or have purchased over the years that I love. None are newer than 40 years old - a Chinese-inspired hand-knotted Indian area rug that's going on 100, two painted chests, and a Chinese-style display cabinet in which I have my pre-1965 Innuit sculptures. The sculptures have a minimalist sensibility, but it's surprising how well they fit the more elaborate yet uncluttered style of my room.

No comments :