I have changed the way I blog and
have moved to Tumblr

Monday, December 10, 2012

Nostalgia

In the early 60's, before the British Invasion. I had this thing about Bert Kaempfert's music. I owned a lot of his albums, which back then were about $6.00 or $7.00 at Woolco - April in Portugal, Afrikaan Beat And Other Favorites, A Swingin' Safari, That Happy Feeling among others and, of course, Wonderland by Night. I think I even continued to buy until I started university in 1964.

My days of Kaempfert's music are well past. I lean toward the Baroque/Classical/Romantic periods with a mix of 50's and 60's, Edith Piaf and now and then Anne Murray - after all she is Canada's Songbird(1). But occasionally I get nostalgic, particularly at this time of the year when the nights are early, the weather is cold and there's a hint of snow in the air. And nothing speaks to that nostalgia more than this song.
1: More on Piaf and Murray in later posts.

No comments :